Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Consolidated - Bad!

The Trouble with Google is over-consolidation. If you’ve looked through my blog you won’t notice something. All of my photos, back through November 2009 are gone.

My new Google+ account is supposed to have a great system for sharing photos. I uploaded a bunch of my train photos last week and yesterday I was going to post my Photo Walk photos from Worldwide Photo Walk last Saturday. When I went into my photos where there had been only my train folder, now there were a bunch of folders! The folders were what I thought were copies of every photo I’d ever posted on any Google blog. Well, I switched over to G+ because the interface was too cluttered on Facebook. I did not want a cluttered gallery. So, I deleted a couple of the folders before I realized the message for okaying the delete was not “This action cannot be undone.” It was “This action will delete these photos from all Goggle products you use!”

It makes me mad. Why would they import all of my photos to a new product that I may or may not keep using? They didn’t COPY the photos, the MOVED the actual photos. Yes, it’s my fault because I didn’t read the warning, but I was not expecting my actual photo files to have been moved without even an email to notify me.

So now, it’s decision time. The first decision is not to use Google+. The people with whom I communicate on Facebook aren’t interested in moving, one friend even said she wouldn’t even consider it because she tried it and plain didn’t like it. Second, I wanted to leave Facebook because of the clutter. The clutter on Google+ is just as bad as Facebook for doing things without warning and more dangerous in the form of data loss!

The second decision, the bigger one, is what to do with The Chronicles of Nani and Davlicious? I lost 60 recipe photos and 2 years of main blog photos, roughly 400 there. The first thing I’ll do is replace photos to the first page so there aren’t naked spots. Then, I guess I’ll work my way backwards replacing photos. I have a copy of all of my blog entries in Word, so that ought to help, but every photo has to be relocked one entry at a time. I thought about just deleting my entries before the beginning of 2011. The problem with that is that when I read an interesting blog by someone new, I usually read their very first blog to get to know them. I’ve been blogging since 2008. Most of the first two years is still here, photos and all. It’s just the most recent years, including all of Journal Camp, which I’d hoped to leave up, although the pdf files are still available.

I’m thoroughly tired looking at the daunting task ahead. Putting the actual photo files for all of Google on a social networking site is Stupid. If you have opinions about what I ought to intentionally delete, let me know.

2 comments:

Edna B said...

I'm sorry about all that you lost, but I thoroughly agree with you about the audacity that Google has in assuming that their wonderful new brain child is a disaster. I sent them a comment saying that I did not believe in fixing what is not broken. They keep saying that they listen to "us" and are giving us what we want. Who the heck is "us"? They never asked me and they don't respond when I tell them where there is a real problem.

There are some blogs where you cannot leave a comment because as soon as you sign the comment, google eats it. Why don't they fix this instead of making these drastic changes to our blogs?

I took a look at some folks' google plus sites, and the different faces of the new blogs, and I'm not happy with what I see.

I'm old fashioned I guess. However, this is one of the reasons that I sarted having my blog printed out in book form. I lost some comments way back in the beginning, and I was afraid I might lost my whole blog. As it turns out, I love the books.

You have a huge job ahead of you. I wish there was some way I could help you. When my Michael was alive, he would say to me "Smile, Baby. Your smile lights up the whole room and makes it easier to find a way out of this mess."

I know, it's corny. But it made my messes feel a little less daunting. So Nani, smile! And have a great night. Hugs, Edna B.

Sheri said...

I know this doesn't help, but I always try to upload my photos to an alternate site like Flickr or even back them up on a USB drive or something similar.

Sorry you have to go through all that. I was thinking about signing up for Google+ this weekend, just to poke around and see what's what with it. Now I know not to upload any photos there.