Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Monday, January 28, 2013

Busy Morning


Credit: Boo-boos and Band Aids by Twin Mom Scraps

I’d have posted earlier today, but my morning was spent in the thralls of the joy of health insurance! I don’t keep my opinion about the need for major improvements in our healthcare system in the US a secret. I applaud the Affordable Healthcare Act as a step in the right direction, but just a baby step. My stance as a great supporter of single-payer healthcare is one about which I'm fairly vocal. That’s the buzz word because so many people consider “socialized" to be some sort of political profanity. Meh, I think there should be an at least partially socialized system. Everyone should have access to healthcare. I say that as a caring person AND as a selfish person. I don’t want to see people suffer but I also don’t want them sharing untreated or undiagnosed diseases with me and I don’t want them driving a car next to me when spasms from untreated physical conditions flare up causing them to lose control of their car You see, everyone’s care affects us all.

One of the big perceptions from opponents of single-payer health care is the wait for care. I’m insured. I wait for care. I’ve been 5 days now without the disease modifying MS medication that really does make a difference in fatigue and cognitive abilities. I’m starting to feel that the medication is out of my system today. Why have I gone without the medication I truly need for almost a week? Because my health insurance company has been “considering” the medication. They hadn’t decided that it was something I could have. Tell me how there is no waiting for care with health insurance. It’s not my first wait for care either, not even the first this year. The doctors wanted me to go into rehabilitation before I went home from the hospital so I could safely function in my own home. I was on hold because the insurance company hadn’t given permission for me to have rehab. After three days of waiting the hospital had to release me because there was no reason for me to stay. I still had the end of the flu when they requested transferring me to rehabilitation. The hospital released me after I had recovered from the virus and the insurance company still hadn’t decided if my doctors actually had a clue about what their patient needed. That was care I waited for and never got. Tell me how great it is to be insured.

So my medication will be here tomorrow, because it took them a week and a half to decide it was okay for me to take, it had to be shipped overnight because I was out of meds. If they’d been little more diligent, it could have sipped standard. I wonder how many people have had to wait and have to have things shipped more expensively? I wonder how much that affects our premium. All this time, as we face the dangers of existing with those who may be insured now, but still go undiagnosed and untreated because they still can’t afford the exorbitant coinsurance. Thank goodness we don’t have any type of socialized medicine to “make us wait.”

Wheeling off soap box now; my soap box has a ramp!


So, yeah, if you read the rant, my medication will be here tomorrow. The rest of the wonderful red tape should be sorted out in the next week.  Yeesh!

So, happy dreary and damp Monday from Ohio! I still like Mondays. Dreary and damp Monday even means David is home today. Remember that Sunday/Monday is his weekend. I’m waiting for him to pull down some soup off the top shelf perfect lunch for a dreary day and something I couldn’t have if he wasn’t home to get it down for me!

I’ve prattled enough. Time to get on with the Monday Quiz About Me, brought to us by Heather at Acting Balanced and Wayne at Touristic.


1. On a long road trip do you prefer to be the driver or a passenger? Or do you prefer to travel a different way all together?

Since I can’t drive, I’ll take the passenger’s seat! But I’ve always preferred the passenger side with David, even when I did still drive. He hated the way I drove and I hated the way he backseat drove when I drove. We were much kidder to each other when he was in the driver’s seat. I wasn’t really fond of driving anyway unless I was alone with bright sun and an empty road. (Camaros drive better when no one is in front of them; they just do.)


2. Do you use a slow cooker? Favorite thing to make?

I use the slow cooker for apple and peach butter! Those would be my favorites. If I had more room to leave it on the counter, I’d use it more.


3. Which type of festival would you rather go to... Wine and Food, Music or Sports?

I’m not a huge festival goer anymore. I went to lots of them when Tori and Rina were little. I guess I really liked to Fall Festivals, which were, cider, food and crafts.


4. What is your favorite fallacy?

David says my favorite fallacy is that he tickles me every time he walks by. I told him "only" nine times out of ten doesn’t make “every” a fallacy because it’s still a gross majority.

So, since his tickling me every time he walks by is NOT a fallacy, I’ll pick a better one.

“If you look for the good in a situation, things will get better.” Looking for the good does not make things better; it makes coping better it easier to cope with. It makes YOU better.


And don't forget to add a 5th Question on your own blog so we can answer as we hop around!

5. Do you consider soup to be a seasonal or year-round food? What’s your favorite soup at this time of year?

For me, it’s totally a year-round food! There are chilled soups that I really only eat in the summer and I prefer heartier potato-based soups in the winter, but I’ll enjoy chicken soup or a bowl of tomato basil any time.

9 comments:

Clairity said...

Soup is a year-round thing for me. My favorites are Clam Chowder and French onion soup.

retired not tired said...

Sorry you had to wait so long for your meds. My doctor was kind enough to renew mine until I return from vacation and then he wants to see me for a whole battery of tests. Our medical insurance is also a little restrictive on what it will cover and not cover.
As for you soup I will eat year round. I love my husband's homemade soup as well as the cream soups such as mushroom, celery or asparagus.

Anonymous said...

year-round although of course i eat more in the winter. potato!

http://growninsouthernground.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/monday-quiz-about-me-30/

Josie Two Shoes said...

LOL about the feet tickling. It's much like saying "always" or "never" when telling someone about something your child wouldn't do, you can bet that will prove itself to be a fallacy in no time! :-) I love soup year around. Broccoli cheddar, clam chowder, or potato soup in the winter, and bean soup, veggie soup, or chicken soup all year round... and I grew up with Oyster stew every Christmas Eve... I love it still!

Edna B said...

I used to love driving on long trips. As I get older though, I'm not enjoying it so much anymore. I don't like driving at night as much as I used to either. I do, however, need to know that my car is parked right outside my door, ready to use whenever I need it. That car and my license give me a sense of freedom.

As for the slow cooker, I use mine once in a great while. It's good for making spaghetti sauce, and soups However, I don't have the room to keep it out all the time so I don't use it as often as I could.

Now I'm off to work on my taxes. You have a great day. Hugs, Edna B.

Kelly said...

On long road trips, I prefer to be the driver, I guess I have a tiny bit of a control issue as far as wanting to make sure I'm in control of the wheel. I love driving with friends though. Love the laughing and singing and general way we are with our friends. I love using my slow cooker and my favorite thing to put in it is a venison roast, when done, I shred it and make chili out of it. Best chili I think I've had in a while!

Festivals I would love to go to are either the Wine and food or Music ones. A few years back I went to the Memphis in May festival down off of Beale Street in Memphis! Oh my gosh I had so much fun!

My favorite fallacy....but I don't consider it a fallacy...is the amount of energy and activity that I put into my grandchildren. I have physical impairments that when doing such things, end up putting me in pain for a few days. But I just can't help it! I love my grandbabies sooooo much!

Soup is a year round staple! Although, we eat much more in the winter time and the colder weather months. My favorite is Chunky Ham, Cheddar and Potato Soup. I'll have to post the recipe on my blog you guys just have to try it!

Love and miss you Nani! Much hugs and luv! Kelly xoxo

blueyes said...

Soups not a high priority on my list. Something about just broth with very little else isn't a meal of any sort. I will, however, part take in some tomato basil soup on occasion and yes it is year round.

Everly said...

soup is a year round thing and just this year i started using the chicken/turkey/ham leftovers to make a broth base for soup!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm all for people being helped with medical issues. My problem is what happens when you still can't afford the government plan? There will be those who still get it for free. My daughter was treated about 4 years ago in the emergency room. She had no health insurance and can't afford to carry health insurance but doesn't fit into a low income scenario. We had to pay $10,000 in bills when every illegal who was in there that night most likely didn't pay a cent! Okay...off my soapbox too!

I'm not a huge fan of soup. I do like a thick creamy one!