Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Monday, December 30, 2013

Book Review: The Simple Truth by David Baldacci

Finished December 16, 2013

Synopsis from Good Reads

Sizzling David Baldacci's novels have been called "sizzling" (USA Today) and "superior" (Houston Chronicle). Now Baldacci is back, with the story of a death row inmate, a Supreme Court clerk, and a crime that is costing people their lives... Terrifying Michael Fiske broke the law when he took Rufus Harms's prison letter from the Supreme Court. But he also sealed his own fate. Now Michael's brother, a cop turned attorney, is coming to Washington to find out why his brother was murdered-and what it had to do with a crime that Rufus Harms committed twenty-five years before... Simply the Best In his new novel of corruption, romance, family, and justice at the heart of the American republic, David Baldacci takes us on a journey of harrowing conspiracy-and proves once again that in the realm of suspense, he is in a league of his own. The Simple Truth It's never what it seems...


My Review at Good Reads

4 of  5 Stars

This is my third David Baldacci book and I’m still impressed enough with his writing and the quality/believability of his stories to read more. That being said, The Simple Truth is definitely number three of the three I’ve read. I prefer my mysteries to be a-religious and at times this book was just a little preachy, but considering that the main character is a devout Christian and I knew that before started reading, I won’t hold it against the book. I just had a problem accepting some of the implied “spiritual epiphany” at the very end. That epiphany was not part of the mystery and it had been solved by then so it didn’t really have any effect on the plot. Murder and religious beliefs is not a preferred mix for fiction for me. Now when murder and politics happen side by side in the same book, that’s a book I can’t put down!  The Simple Truth does fit that description too.

I loved the underlying tone of the strength of family ties in this book and that there are characters who assess their own motives for the choices they make as they discover clues and motives in putting together facts to solve a murder. Baldacci’s style is not the kind of book where the reader can turn off their mind and just relax. They are definitely books that keep the mind working.

I personally don’t think romance is essential for a good book, but in this book the romantic subplot made sense and fit well. It did make me want a 6 months later final chapter.

No comments: