Welcome to my coffee shop in the cyber neighborhood!


The Chronicles of Nani On Video

I am overcoming my inability to type with my ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk) I'll be posting a video every week on my YouTube channel. I'll be posting those videos here too along with an occasional regular blog in the mix. (As long as my hands are up to doing the extra typing.)

You'll be able to watch the videos here, but I encourage you to stop by my channel at YouTube once I'm up and running to follow me and get my numbers started!


Welcome to my coffee shop in Cyber Space
Try the latte with a slice of black forest cake!


Contact Nani at
chroniclesofnani@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Be Vewy, Vewy Quiet…


…We're hunting pumpkin spice!

According to Nani’s Rules, September 1st is the official opening day of Pumpkin Spice Season!

Yes, this is a huge fad and yes the middle-age-white-woman is the stereotypical demographic that the fad is known for. But I don’t follow the fad; the fad followed me and now it caters to me. I’m okay with that.

Starbucks takes credit for starting the fad, but I think the first time I had a pumpkin spice cappuccino was a gas station machine cheataccino a year before it was available at Starbucks. Starbucks made it "cool." Also the whole “pumpkins mean fall” thing for me was since childhood. I loved pumpkin pie and Pop roasted the pumpkin seeds from the Halloween jack-o-lanterns he carved before we were even allowed to handle sharp knives. I also used pumpkin pie spice mixed into Cool Whip for a low calorie pumpkin spice treat. I hadn’t thought of adding pumpkin spice and sweetener to coffee but when I tried the gas station cheataccino, I was hooked! It was a hot cocoa styled drink for fall; yum!

Starbucks is caving into the health food Nazis who started the Pumpkin Spice Latte conspiracy theory last year, freaking out about not having pumpkin in the drink and having some sort of poison instead. This year they have changed the recipe that’s been so successful while, according to them, not changing the flavor. Pumpkin Spice Latte will be available at Starbucks, to slide down your throat with slimy pureed pumpkin making your drink thicker but not affecting the taste, which you hopefully don’t really remember exactly from one year to the next, on September 8.

I probably won’t try the new recipe. If other places use a small amount of mashed pumpkin in their pumpkin spice drinks and I don’t notice it, fine. I had decided a couple years ago that for flavor, Eat ’n Park’s pumpkin spice latte was the best anyway. I have 2 big things that drive my thought that I have no interest in trying the new recipe at Starbucks. First, the purely psychological effect; I never expected anything but the spices in pumpkin spice latte and the thought of purred pumpkin in my coffee just sounds gross. Second, and I think the bigger reason, is I just can’t support anything that’s purely kissing the butts of conspiracy theorists. So, if I don’t know the pumpkin is there and it is, it proves that it doesn’t make any difference because I liked it fine without. It might even be defense of the change if it’s discovered that pumpkin in my coffee is what makes me think one is better than the other. BUT, you can’t even improve the taste and win me over when you’ve offended me, and giving in to the food Nazis is offensive. It won’t affect Starbucks at all. Many people won’t care, they’ll have a new customer or two who’ve read and were afraid because of the food Nazis and I’ll still drink plain lattes and their fabulous, albeit hard to get there in time for, pumpkin scones. But for pumpkin latte, I’ll stick to Eat n’ Park or Speedway.

I won’t miss Starbuck’ 'Pumpkin Spice Latte anyway because there are now so many fabulous pumpkin spice treats in the fall! Be on the lookout for these pumpkin inspired yummies!

The only things on the list I haven’t tried are the ones highlighted in yellow. #means I didn’t care for it. * means I have to have it at least once every fall!

*Pumpkin Spice Latte (Eat ‘n Park is the best!)
*Cheataccino (gas station cappuccino)
*Coffee (I’ll be ordering a Couple boxes of PS K-cups next week!)
Tea

Cookies
*Donuts (At a cider mill or orchard is the best, but Dunkin Donuts does good ones too!)
Loaf (I make a loaded Christmas loaf with pumpkin and spice that I rather like)
Cake
Muffins
*Scones (Starbucks)

*Ice cream
Shakes (McDonalds are great)

Egg nog (I called it Pumpkin Nog)
Cream cheese (Philadelphia, but I couldn’t find it to try it last year)
Yogurt (Couldn’t find it to try it.)

Pudding (Jello instant, YUM!)
Oatmeal (Made my own with pumpkin spice creamer)
Peanut butter (Jif WILL try this year)

***Soup (Zoup, OMG)

#Beer, Ale, Shandy (The pumpkin beer I tried was okay, but not really a Nani choice)

Pumpkin butter (I’ve bought a jar at a fruit market and made a batch of my own; an excellent fall addition for biscuits, toast or anything you’d use a fruit butter with!)

Snack pie (McDonald’s has a hot pumpkin McPie which I love. I think Hostess does one too)

Pop Tarts (I WILL find these this year!)
Oreos
Pepperidge Farms Pumpkin Spice Milano cookies

***Pumpkin Spice M&Ms
Pumpkin Spice Latte M&Ms (New this year and I want to try them. It might Pumpkin Spice repackaged or there may be 2 types of pumpkin M&Ms this year)
Hershey Kisses (These are good, but they are pumpkin spice white chocolate confection, not chocolate)
*Candy Corn (Seriously, pumpkin spice candy corn – OH MY!)

**Pancakes (IHOP has done these for many years and they are fantastic!)

Fudge
Salt Water Taffy
Marshmallows
Chewing gum
Toffee (Trader Joes)
Salted caramels 

*Almonds (Blue Diamond – fabulous!)
Candied Pumpkin Seeds (Trader Joes and Nature Box, both excellent with baked sweet potatoes!)
Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Truffles (tried these in Vermont last year – YUM!)

Are you a pumpkin spice fan? What are some of your favorites?

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I will eat My Grandma's of New England Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake, especially if I can freeze it, cut it in half, and stuff it with cream cheese / whipped cream filling.
p.s. this is not a shameless plug, but a disclaimer - I do work there. it's really a terrific cake.

Sheri said...

Biggby Coffee has a pretty good pumpkin spice latte. I noticed the McDonald's around here have them too.

Edna B said...

Sorry, I don't do Starbuck's. I tried their coffee several years ago and did not like it. I used to do Dunkin Donut's coffee and iced coffee, but fell out of love with it. Too sweet, or something. I tried McDonalds' coffee and it was good. I love their iced coffee.

As for all those tasty sounding items you mention, I don't really eat or drink any of them. I know, I sound really boring. Actually I like my food and drinks plain. However, I think it's great that so many other folks love these things.

When I was young, I loved cooking lots of different things. My family however only wanted the plain stuff, so that's how I got to this point I guess. I'm okay with it.

I do however, enjoy a piece of pumpkin pie once in a while. You have a wonderful evening. Hugs, Edna B.

p.s. It tastes even better with a dollup of whipped cream on it!

JeanneTraylor said...

Here's a WW friendly pumpkin idea for you! Add 1 can of pumpkin (NOT pie filling) to a spice cake mix( any brand box will do). Bake as usual, but keep an eye as sometimes it cooks more quickly that specified on the box. SUPER yummy and diet friendly!

Enjoy! From one PS lover to another!

seamhead gypsy said...

Starbucks, (or Bigbucks as I say around here) is always trying to push an agenda of some sort. So I'm not surprised they gave in to the food nazis. I hadn't heard about the change and I wonder if I should tell Kathy about it or just bring her PS from Bigbucks next week when I go Krogering. There is a satellite Bigbucks coffee in our nearby Kroger.

However the change won't bother me at all. I prefer my coffee roasted medium or strong. Usually I look for a Guatemalan or Costa Rican blend. Add a touch of skim milk and I'm a happy camper!

I had pumpkin bread, loaf, roll, cookies, and pancakes. And one Halloween I made a crockpot of pumpkin chili. But otherwise I had no clue of all the other pumpkin flavored goodies.